Image Map

Friday, April 15, 2011

Tree Maps Are Growing In My Kinder Room




Here is a typical tree map you might create in your classroom. What makes it unique are several features. First,the words is and has have been scaffolded by color coding them. The word and is placed between these two words to practice stronger sentences. This can then be built into a pocket chart and students can read more complex language. More capable students will be able to take this concept to their writing after practicing this. Remember, children need to read the map! This map is for sorting and categorizing information. What do you do to make the maps kinder friendly? Leave a comment and share your great ideas!





My friend Pam came up with the idea of a circle map for our garden theme and I just made it a little "fancy." The boxes are to help the kids leave spaces between their pictures. I can't wait to use this as an independent activity. Maybe they can label their pictures?

I came up with the idea of boxes to help our youngest learners at the beginning of the year orient theirpictures in a way that is meaningful. I taught them the terms top, bottom, right, and left. My teammates love this since our kids tend to cover the map with too many choices. Remember this map is for brainstorming ideas.
Is anyone a Thinking Maps trainer of trainers?


5 comments:

Unknown said...

Love this tree map Fran! What a great way to make such abstract words a little more concrete for our littlest learners! You have such an amazing blog and I just love reading your posts!! Thanks for sharing your ideas!
~ Mrs. Mc
Little Literacy Learners

Fran Kramer said...

I work really hard at trying to hit our standards in a meaningful way for our ELL's. Sometimes I shoot right over their heads and have to reflect on more effective strategies for teaching concepts that might be simple for a child who is a fluent English speaker. I am always looking for the next great idea! Thanks for your comment!
Fran

Unknown said...

I love your blog. Thank you for sharing your wonderful ideas. I just started teaching first grade after many years in the upper elementary grades and find your ideas so very helpful. Thank you!

Todd said...

Thank you so much for sharing your Thinking Maps. A couple of our teachers were Thinking Map trained, but they haven't had the opportunity to train us yet. The Tree Map is my favorite. It makes so much sense to do that, then write sentences with the categories!

Unknown said...

Hi Fran,

Love all of your ideas I think you have super talent and a great understanding of activities that are developmentally appropriate for K's. When will they be available to purchase? I can't wait and so I will keep following you! Thanks so much for all of the great ideas!