Image Map

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Attention... Here Come Our Mentors


The day was almost over and I told my students their mentors or buddies were coming to work with them. They were so excited. The fifth graders came in with clipboards, ready to meet their little friends and get down to business. They were just as excited! I asked them if they knew what a mentor was and laid some ground rules.I told them I was counting on them to help make our young friends scholars but I needed their help to do this.I modeled the activity I wanted them to do and provided a questionnaire so they could get to know the child they would be working with. I also provided an assessment so they could see what their skills were like. No one prepared me for how touching this would be. They took their job seriously and worked hard. I was close to tears just watching them imitate their own teacher or just go into "teacher mode." Many of them were past students of mine and to watch them in this role was really special for me. Wow, what an amazing experience for all of us. At the end I asked the 5th graders what they had really liked about this experience and they answered me with such honestly and passion. I asked them what else they would like to do with their buddies in the future and they suggested playing games and doing art projects with them. I am filled with hope that we will all get so much from this and I cannot wait to get started on this journey.
My hubby spent all night cutting out flash cards to build their "buddy learning bags." I made upper and lowercase letters on pumpkins and now I need numbers, sound cards, etc. Lots of work but well worth the effort.

9 comments:

Cindy said...

Fran,
My heart was melted by your post. I used a few "buddies" last year. I like the idea of them helping my kids with letters. I know you're busy, but I look forward to the packet. I'm planning to approach the 5th grade teachers tomorrow. ;)

Fran Kramer said...

I will definitely create an intervention packet. Many of us need the extra help with our strugglers.

Judy Lau said...

Fran what an awesome idea! Will you be sharing more about your buddy learning bags?

Freckleteacher said...

Awesome post about the start of your intervention program. I love it and I know it is going to be a great help to your students. I would love to see an intervention packet. We have Big Buddies at my school and it would be wonderful to use them in a more instructional way. Congrats on your first Mentor Day!

The Blythe's Are Bloggin... said...

Fran can we get a copy of those two sheets? We have 5th grade buddies too and I think it'd be great to use! Thanks!

Fran Kramer said...

You will get it all in a few days.

Unknown said...

Fran,
How often do your mentors come to your class and how long do they stay? I spoke with my asst. principal about this on Friday and she was really excited about starting something similar on our campus. She asked me to get more info. I appreciate all of your wonderful downloads and packets that I've purchased along with your blog. Thanks!

Fran Kramer said...

They come once a week for 1/2 hour. I realize they cannot provide any more time since they have such rigorous curriculum to cover. I am loving this so much!

Jennifer said...

Just curious if you could offer your mentor stuff in your shop. I would LOVE to purchase it!! I am starting this up when we go back!