Image Map

Tuesday, July 5, 2011



We are all told that kindergarten children can journal from the moment they come to school. We do not tend to start this for a few weeks but once we do this is a great piece to add on to your homework and send back and forth once a week (Friday) to visit and celebrate. The cover allows for a child's photo but obviously they could draw a picture of themselves too. I like to focus on a sight word that I want the kids to work on and practice in context. This is a great way to provide more practice with writing and get a bit of help from parents too. I run off 10-12 copies of the second page and use a strip at the top to staple it together. Just though you might like this idea so grab it here and add it to your stash of ideas.  Leave a comment if you like this .

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aww I love this! We have at school journals, but they only go home once completed. I want to do this next year with home/school. Thank you for sharing! Very CUTE too! :o)

So Then There Were 2

Lauren Morse said...

I love the idea of focusing on a sight word in their writing. That would be beneficial for my firsties as well.

Unknown said...

I love this idea! Do you happen to have a second page that has a line on it as well?

Amber said...

Thanks for sharing. I love this and all of the Pete the Cat ideas. I have never heard of this book and just ordered it. I am so excited to share it with my firsties in three weeks when we start another new year.

Cindy said...

Fran,
I love this idea. Do you leave the topic for writing up to the child? Also, do you help parents understand the writing process...that in the beginning we are not expecting every single word to be spelled correctly? Some parents erase their child's work to make it perfect. I like to tell the parents that in the beginning, the writing looks like VANITY PLATES on a car...enough of the sounds are there to figure out the message.
Shopr Grl is Shopper Girl, Flwr Lvr is Flower Lover, etc. It's a connection the parents can make to help them understand!
As always Fran, thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

I love this idea, cant wait to try it out!

Freckleteacher said...

Thank you Fran! I always do Homework journals beginning in January after I have worked with students in the classroom. I like the idea of having a sight-word focus. I too would like a line or two on the pages. I have found that students actually write better with lines and they prefer it! Thanks again for all of your free ideas!

Unknown said...

Thank you so much. Do you give families instructions when you send it home? You are so kind to share.

thepegrams said...

I love everything you create!! May I ask where you get the frame you used? I love it!!

Thank you,
Laura

thepegrams@bellsouth.net

erah710 said...

What a great way to encourage home-to-school connections with your students and their families! Thanks for sharing!
Kto2.blogspot.com

stewart7202006 said...

Excellent stuff. Thank you so much for sharing.