Image Map

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

I Cannot Live Without Jake... best book ever!





Is this book in your read aloud stash? I bet it isn't! This is the best story I have ever seen on school anxiety.
I presented the entire story when I did a training with kindergarten teachers and they all bought it the next day (I wish Amazon would offer me a kickback!) Trust me on this one. It is hilarious and adorable. So in a nutshell Jake refuses to let go of his parents once he gets to school and he is utterly overwhelmed by the environment
(sounds like my students). He refuses to let go of them the entire day but quickly discovers that he can't do much clinging to them. Finally it is story time and he ends up holding the book, letting go of Mom and Dad and falling in love with school.


Kindergarten Teachers: Buy this book and read it the first day! I promise you the kids will adore it. The obvious conversation can be about how each of us feels a bit like Jake, even the teacher. 

14 comments:

Tessa said...

Thanks Fran. Amazon is gonna love me at the end of summer! My books to buy list just keeps getting bigger!

Maggie's Kinder Corner said...

Fran, you should definitely get the kickback! I actually heard about this and couldn't remember it to save my skin! Thanks for posting--I'm going to add it to my list that is ever growing at Amazon. I think I've spent almost 100 bucks there since the end of May! I will definitely take that tax deduction of 200.00 this next year! lol
Maggie

Maggie's Kinder Corner said...

Fran, I don't know why, but I thought I was following your blog...I am now!lol Thank you for posting about Jake! I had heard of it and forgot to look it up. Love it!
Maggie

Linda McCardle said...

Thank you for the great book suggestion. I ordered it today! I'll be back in school in a few weeks, I know Jake and Pete will be a big hit!

Vicki Bergeron said...

I love book suggestions, I already knew Pete the Cat, but Jake is new to me. Thank you so much!

LaNesha Tabb said...

fran! thanks so much for this- I'm totally going to get it!!

First Grade Awesomeness
We Are The Tabbs

jan said...

I can't wait to order this book. I have never heard of it but it sounds great. Thanks for the recommendation!

KeAndra said...

Sounds like a really cute book! The I have started the school year with for the last two was The Kissing Hand. Do you still read that book?
Ke'Andra

Fran Kramer said...

The Kissing Hand is really sweet and I love the mood of the book but my kids have real anxiety and I prefer Jake because it has real people and the story is hilarious and I need a good laugh during those first days.
Don't you?

Laura said...

Thanks for sharing ALL your great ideas. What other books are on your wish list?

KeAndra said...

Fran I found the book at a local bookstore today for under $10. It is a used hardback book! I am excited to try something new in the Fall. Are you going to post ideas/activities to go with the story on your blog or TPT store?
Ke'Andra

Tiffani said...

Thanks- not that I need an excuse to search Amazon, but... a classroom can never have too many books.

✿Tiffani
Time 4 Kindergarten
ca-scrappin@comcast.net

Freckleteacher said...

I just got my Jake book and I love it too! Thanks for the tip Fran! I had to order it from my local bookstore (no shipping then)I am sure the kids will love it!

Kerri said...

I just found this book at my library! I can't wait to read it to my students. Thanks for the wonderful idea!