Image Map

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Sugar-Free Valentine's Day!




Yup, you guessed it. There was no candy going on in my room on Valentine's Day and the kids never even made a comment. They loved all the games and activities and the special folder I let them color in. It was precious to watch them give out their cards. The parents gave out tons of pencils and heart erasers but resisted the candy. At the end of the day two fifth graders came in with a pile of handmade valentines created by the kinder mentors. My kids were in awe of this. I swear I read each one to the class and had to resist choking over the things that their mentors wrote. I got messages like, " I knew you were the perfect little buddy for me when Mrs. Kramer introduced us...,"Be my valentine because you are so cute and smart..." " I will always be your friend,Love from your Mentor Alex..." It was so adorable and touching. When did 5th grade boys become such mush balls? I L*O*V*E*D it!
Check out the little mailboxes I made for my grade level. They loved them and it was so much fun to make these. I filled them with valentine m&m's and little note cards I made with their names. I love these guys. I love this holiday. Don't you?

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Love the mailboxes!! =)
Jennifer
First Grade Blue Skies

Camille said...

Fran, It sounds like your students had a WONDERFUL time! I just love that everything is so new for kinders that they are in awe of it all! A few years ago I couldn't have food at my parties because one of my kiddos had airborne allergies. I ended up loving it so much, that I have never gone back to having food at parties. This way the emphasis is on the fun activities we are doing and not on what we get to eat.
Belated Valentine wishes to you!
Camille

Fran Kramer said...

Camille,
You are so right about this! I hope you had a great Valentine's Day too.
The kids had a wonderful day and the bubbles sent them out the door elated!

Learning with Mrs. Parker said...

We had a very small treat and a dance party. It was 20 minutes max. But they did spend an hour making valentines for friend and loved ones. My favorite part was watching them wish their friends a happy V-day. They were so genuine.

Kristin said...

So fun!!! You are so thoughtful!!! I want to be on your team!
And I love those mentor Valentines -- those big kids can sure be sweet. I wonder why I'm so afraid of them?
A Teeny Tiny Teacher

Laura said...

Love that you had a "food-free" party. I have a severe diabetic student this year and food management is such an issue. Some parents just won't even try to understand. Thanks for all you do, love your stuff!
Hugs,
Laura

Michelle Griffo said...

It looks like you had a wonderful time, and I am so impressed that you did it without candy!!! We had a class party and I assigned fruit and different healthy items, and by the time everyone brought in there items, we had so much sweets!!! I don't know how that happened... :)

Michelle
Apples and ABC's

P.S. Your blog is the first blog that I really started following and you inspired me to start my own! I hope you can hop over and visit! :)