So my friend Deedee Wills created some guiding questions on her bookmark (rip over to her site if you do not have one) and I want to talk about a question she poses. How do you support math vocabulary in your stations? I created some "math talk" cards which I will offer next week when I host the next chapter. You have to come back and link up with me!
How do we make these cards for our kinderkids?
1. Keep the text simple for our emergent readers
2. Use sight words that you have already introduced.
3. Use math vocabulary that you have practiced many times in large and small groups.
4. Add visuals to the text to support the academic language you are teaching
5. Practice, Practice, Practice
Debbie talks about the importance of modeling and I would use this strategy when introducing these cards.