Image Map

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Chapter6: Zero the Hero Comes to Kindergarten

In my classroom the 100th day of school is a special math activity day my students really look forward to.
We play all kinds of games but I also like to provide a little book to connect to literacy. The children work through this book during a small group rotation and a parent goes through each page teaching them how to draw each object presented. When this is completed (takes several days) students put this in their literacy bag to take home and practice with parents. In chapter 6 of MWS Debbie Diller addresses place value and how it might look in a kindergarten classroom . We use "Zero the Hero" as our math mascot and practice counting by 10's to 100 throughout the year. It is important that kids recognize mathematical patterns and we use the 100 's pocket chart as part of our daily opening.

Here are the pages of the little book I use as part of our 100th day celebration.


If you would like a copy of this book you can grab it here.
Please leave a comment and follow me so I can make more friends.
I will add more activities tomorrow.

18 comments:

The Four on Board said...

ok so since i am new at all this kinder stuff :) what do you put in each box on each page? do they draw ten suns for the sun page? im sorry im confused :(

Fran Kramer said...

Sorry about that- they keep writing the number 10 and finally they count by 10's until they reach 100!

hockeymom23 said...

Thank you so much for sharing this book. We also do Zero the Hero activities until day 100!! You are so generous!! I LOVE your blog...you have such great ideas!!! Thanks again!!

billi said...

I love new ideas for the 100th day. I like that this is something they can take home and not eat. (like froot loop necklaces) Thanx

BJ Thorn said...

Thank you so much for the 100th day book. You come up with amazing ideas. Thanks again

vgw said...

Thanks for the great book. virginia

Margaret Byrne said...

Love your book. Thanks for sharing. I have used Zero the Hero in the past and the children love him. I'm new to this blogging world and trying to "keep up!".

Unknown said...

I love Zero the Hero and I love this 100 book! Thank you so much for sharing! :)

Kim Schneider said...

Love this activity Fran!! You are UBER creative. I've been teaching Kindergarten for 18 years and always love to change things up. I'm having difficulty saving it in Google docs. I'll try back later and see if it is working.

Actually Kristen said...

Love your ideas! They really keep me thinking!! =)

Tessa said...

Thanks for sharing so much of your creativity!

Mrs. Flach and Mrs. Melin said...

Thank you for your generosity in sharing all of your great ideas!!

Deedee Wills said...

Love! Love! Love! Thanks for yet ANOTHER fabulous gift!

Mrs. Wills Kindergarten

Jackie said...

Love the book! Thanks for the great activity.

Freckleteacher said...

Thanks for the great ideas about 100th Day! I have just discovered your blob site and I am hooked! You are amazing!

cindy jones said...

Fran
thank you for you wonderful creative inspirations for k kids. I love the Pete the cat and I love head bands as well! I can't wait to have it on TPT so I can purchase it. I am also waiting on your thinking maps.

Mrs. Krouskop-Smith said...

Love this! Thank you!

Kool Kinders

Buggy for First Grade said...

Thanks! I just found this while doing a search on Pinterest for 100th day activities.

Ms. McBee’s Kinderbugs