Image Map

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Remember That Naughty Girl?

My kids love this character and can't wait to describe her. They love to talk about how naughty she is and all the poor choices she makes by entering a stranger's home. It is so much fun to listen to them carry on about her! However, the boys defended her and justified her decision to go in the cottage by suggesting she was hungry and tired. Some of the children told me she was snoopy and nosey but I wanted to introduce the word curious because it's such a great vocabulary word. Someone finally suggested it and we practiced drawing her. The following day they wrote about her. One student turned her into a princess because she thought she was so beautiful. This is a great opportunity to talk about real and make-believe. For a 5 year old the lines are often fuzzy...

Here are some examples of the cut and paste bubble map and their Goldie artwork!





8 comments:

Kelli said...

On the cut and paste bubble map, which I love, did they have other words or just the words that you put on the big map. Great ideas.

Chrissy said...

Great idea! I always look forward to reading your posts!

ReadWriteSing

Fran Kramer said...

Hi Kelli,
They generate the words I use but if I have a vocabulary word I want them to learn I lead them to it. This is how I build their language skills. I have learned not to use too many words or they have trouble
reading the map which defeats my purpose. Thanks for the comment!

Fran Kramer said...

Dear Chrissy,
You are so sweet. Thank you for reading the blog. I love hearing from you!
Fran

Learning with Mrs. Parker said...

Just stumbled jointing blog. I love this graphic organizer! Great for all learners.

www.learningwithmrsparker.blogspot.com

Suzan said...

Do you make a new copy of the words they generate each year for the individual bubble maps?

Jessica said...

Hey Fran-
Just wanted to tell you that this morning as I was reviewing my plans for reading...I REMEMBERED this post- This week we are reviewing identifying and describing characters- so today we are using Goldilocks and the 3 Bears (b/c it was a book we've already read in our reading series) and so I immediately came to your blog, searched for it, emailed it to my team and they were just as excited about it as I was! We are going to do the charts in whole group... I loved how cute you made it! (I'll try to remember to post pics!) haha) But I was wondering, if you have a unit or something created that you can put on TPT??? B/c we could definitely use it next year!!! =) I was just wondering, and thought I would ask! I hope you have a great day!!!!

Jessica

kinder-gardening said...

I love this, Fran! Starting fairy tales next week !