Image Map

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Oatmeal for Breakfast

When we celebrated "Read Across America" in kindergarten our kids came in their jammies and were thrilled to see me dressed the same way, down to my slippers.It was a day full of fun and learning but the best part was making oatmeal in our classroom.  This related to our unit on Goldilocks and the 3 Bears. With some creative thinking we came up with the idea of using our own coffee pot to make hot water. I had the kids line up as I poured the water into their cup of oatmeal and then had them stir carefully. We offered toppings such as honey (that's what a bear would want), brown sugar, and raisins. This was a big hit!





It's a simple set-up and oatmeal needs very little heat to cook.
Just be sure to add enough water to make it creamy.

 
The students helped me make a bubble map using their senses to describe the oatmeal.
We practiced the following linguistic pattern:
Oatmeal is ________.

  The  children got into small groups and graphed their answer to the question: Do you like oatmeal? A green strip was for yes and purple was for no. We let them do this independently after modeling.





I will have them fill out a form like this on Monday.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for this cute idea! We are doing fairy tales this week and Goldilocks is on the list! Thanks again!

A Special Kind of Class said...

Great ideas Fran. I love them.

Fran Kramer said...

Thanks. I will post more as my children work through this unit. They love this fairytale and I teach all the thinking maps through this simple story.

Reba said...

Hi, Fran. Just found you. I use LEOLA AND THE HONEYBEARS by Melodye Rosales for our "bear" unit. I use a southern accent when I read it and my kids love it.