Image Map

Sunday, July 1, 2012

Do you know this trick?




Okay, I have to ask you if you know this trick. You probably do but for the two people out there who have never heard of this - listen up! You can take food coloring, dilute it with water and have your students sponge paint anything you want. It looks adorable in a little guided reader or I do it  as background for a special piece of writing they have created. It makes any piece look special and hides a multitude of sins! Now if you need to take it up a notch (and most of you do) you can color with twistables and add this like a resist. It has a soft, natural effect but just a little goes a long way. Use sponges and put a clothespin on the end so students do not walk around all day with blue hands. It's not that cute when they are eating lunch. So if you are not a fan of watercolors this is a little easier. The sponge needs to be blotted off using a paper towel before it hits the paper. It tends to absorb too much water so be careful. I like mixing colors too! The beach book is in my store already and the animals in the sea is part of a packet I am putting together. Do you know any easy peasy tricks for making kid work look special?

12 comments:

Traci Clausen said...

I've always used watercolor - never thought to use food coloring. How simple. :D Thanks

I think backing anything on black makes it look special - and of course outlining their drawings - colorings in black.

This book is very cute, Fran.
❤Dragonflies in First ❤

Karyn said...

I guess I'm one of the two people you
Mentioned who doesn't know this trick Fran! Lol! I LOVE it! Thanks for sharing!

Karyn
Aisforapplebisforblog.blogspot.com

Freckleteacher said...

I am a big fan of watercolor, soft crayon rubbing and now food coloring with sponges! Thanks Fran!

Miss Trayers said...

I didn't know that one either-so cool! Thank you for sharing! :)

NotJustChild'sPlay

Ms. Lopez said...

OK, I guess there were more than 2 of us that had never heard of this idea! Thanks for sharing it. I love sponge painting and water coloring!

Kathy

Fluttering Through First Grade said...

Ok...duh...Never knew this one and never thought of them doing it in their little readers. So clever!

Hate to say it, but lamination makes anything look fabulous...we try not to laminate a ton, but it is amazing what that little sheet of heated plastic can do to their art.

Christy & Tammy

Annie Moffatt said...

This is such a GREAT tip Fran! I guess I am one of the two people who had never heard of this fantastic idea!! I look forward to your posts!! HUGS!

Reba said...

Okay, Fran, I am the other one that did not know this trick. Great idea. I am thinking ahead, and have not read posts so another reader might have mentioned this. It would be a great idea for "larger spaces" like a pumpkin/jack-o-lantern, holiday tree with green, etc. I try to get my students to have zero negative space in there artwork. We focus on adding detail to drawings like we try to add detail to writing. I make them use at least five different colors on their work when appropriate. Thanks for the continued support. Rebecca

Kreative in Kinder said...

How fun is this! Thanks for sharing. Now, if I can just remember this tip when I get to this unit. LOL!
<>< Crystal

Teaching Munchkins said...

Awesome idea! Might have to try it out with my 3 year old somehow because we are going to be diving into our ocean unit soon!
Thanks for the tip!

Sara
Teaching Munchkins

forkin4th said...

Great Idea (especially if you don't have access to a classroom set of watercolors!) Thanks for sharing the tip!

Antonia
forkin 4th

Sarah Eager said...

Great idea that I have never heard! Thanks!

Sarah
The Eager Teacher Blog
Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest