Image Map

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Perfect Attendance Because of An Elf...


Since when do fifth graders rip through the door to get into their classroom? They do if there's an elf waiting for them in the classroom to spread Christmas magic. These students cannot wait to find him and see what he is up to. My friend Christina spends a lot of time trying to make this interesting and she is having a blast with her elf. The fishing picture put me over the top and the kids went nuts when they saw him. The students never know what to expect when they come through the door. Sometimes the elf is in plain sight doing something hilarious that they write about in their journal, with a picture. Other times he is hiding and they have to work to solve a riddle to get a clue from their teacher. They never know what to expect and it made school more than slightly interesting for them. Attendance has been at 100 per cent. Who knew that an elf would get them to school and become the center of their world. Tomorrow I left  "love notes" from the elf with little candies attached for those who are on task, treating their friends kindly, and listening. The bookmark is something I created for their CCSS unit on division but naturally I signed it from the elf! It sure makes life interesting during those weeks before vacation! What is your elf doing to make life interesting in your classroom? I love all the energy we are putting into this!

1 comment:

Kelley Dolling said...

You are a VERY smart woman, Fran! With Cali being all about keeping those all mighty bum-bums in the seats this is another great reason to run with this little elf! He's on my list for next year . . . couldn't quite get my act together this go around :) I hope all is well and I'll see you soon at PK1!!!

Kelley Dolling
Teacher Idea Factory