Image Map

Saturday, December 8, 2012

Gifts From the Elf


Have you made a bubble map with your elf yet? This is the perfect opportunity to have your students describe your classroom elf students but be sure to use  adjectives. Make a large map first on chart paper and be sure to put your elf's name right under his or her picture. Have students come up with describing words that require using their senses. How does it look? How does it feel? What does he do? Those are the kinds of questions you can ask. You can even come up with character traits. When I make my big bubble map I often color the bubbles so the children know which one I am referring to (another scaffold). I just use scrapbooking chalk and lightly rub in some color with a cotton ball. This is really helpful for those children who are really not reading yet. So what are some of the words the children might be led to come up with? The elf is red and white, silly, naughty,small, magical, kind, smart, clever, etc. I only use a few bubbles at this time of the year but you can always add on more if your children are capable. Since this map is one that they will fill in I made it very simple.
1. Have students come up to your big map and read a bubble that they like. Here is a perfect opportunity to use the name of your elf or practice the pronoun "he" or "she."
You can even use a pointer with a star and some bells on it! Make it magical.
2. After this I put the language of the map on a pocket chart so it can be practices.
3. Once the children can read the pocket chart I put the words in a second chart next to the first, have them read the map, build their sentences themselves and practice reading them.
4. This makes a fantastic literacy station that they will enjoy.



This is another way to continue to build their fluency based on the map they have created.   This one is to reinforce the language of their bubble map and allows them an opportunity to practice these sentences in a different way. Have them work collaboratively using a list of adjectives they came up with on their class bubble map. With their maps to guide them they should be able to fill this in (cross your fingers).
This is a perfect opportunity for studentsE
 to read to a partner. Students love these little foldables and can take them home to share with their families. I love when all the children feel successful! I will post this after my workout today... pinky promise. Would you like a copy? Please become a follower and leave a comment if you can... Pick up your elf gifts right here.














13 comments:

Learning with Mrs. Parker said...

This looks wonderful. I'd love a copy.

wanda said...

I would love a copy!

Camille said...

Fran, Thank you for teaching us so much today! I love that you don't just post an idea, but you also give us the explanation so that we are learning from you.

Yes, of course I would love a copy! Who wouldn't?

Camille
An Open Door

Lori R said...

Yes I would like a copy! This is so cute! Have fun with your elf! One of my students surprised me with our elf, Jingles.
lraines78@gmail.com

Lynne said...

Absolutely! My elf is actually a snowy owl, so I will have to change things around a bit, but I love your ideas!

Karyn said...

I love your ideas!! I'd love a copy too!! :-)

Karyn
Kideducator@comcast.net

Fran Kramer said...

thank you for all the sweet comments.
Feel free to grab it now!

Jenn Bates said...

Terrific explanation, Fran! I use the sentence frame at the top, too! I think the frame of the reference still confuses many at our site.
Jenn
Finally in First

Jan said...

Thanks for all the great ideas on your blog- love these elf ideas:-)

Megan Horman said...

Thank you for the freebie. It will be fun to see what the kids say about the elf in our room. Have a great Sunday!
Megan
mhorman@north-cedar.k12.ia.us

Jess said...

Thank you for the great elf resources. These are perfect for the descriptive writing unit we are working with.

Katie Knight said...

I am dying to know how the elf on the shelf is working out. I bought one and then chickened out! I know! It was silly to chicken out but I did!!! Next year!

I am glad I found you, after you finding me through Kristin and Hadar! I can't wait until our next meet up!!!

I look forward to meeting you and until then reading your blog. I'm your newest follower!

Did you enter the gigantic giveaway??? Please come by and win some big prizes!!!! Seriously. I hope you win a goodie!

Teacher to the Core

Fran Kramer said...

Katie,
I am so exciting to see your blog and I know I am going to learn so much from you about the Common Core. You and Kristen make me laugh so much!
Fran