Image Map

Saturday, November 3, 2012

Common Core is not just about standards...

As I am learning about CCSS I have discovered that it is no longer just about addressing the new standards. It is also important that students work using a collaborative model and no longer are we expecting quiet classrooms where just the teacher is talking and one student is responding. This is a huge shift for many teachers and will be difficult for them to alter. We want students talking to each other, using academic language and being purposeful, helping each other.  We know that this is how we all learn best. Why not promote this in our classrooms? In my new role I often collaborate with other teachers and find that I am at my best when I have the privilege to discuss new learning with others. It has made me much more effective and I find myself doing a lot me listening now. All of us need an opportunity to work with others at our grade level and reflect on our teaching practices even if it means laughing at how an activity "tanked" and you had to rethink your lesson! I have been there more times than I care to admit!
What does this have to do with this packet?
First, I had to be sure that the activities were purposeful and differentiated for all  kinds of learners. I also made sure that students had opportunities to work collaboratively, often with a partner. I had  to provide an opportunity for students to show me their learning with a performance based assessment.
All of these activities can be used during guided instruction for intervention purposes too. Hopefully, these will be highly engaging and fun for students to use. I hope I pulled this off. This packet addresses crucial foundational skills our kids must have to learn how to read and I find myself always looking for new ways to visit letters and sounds. I will post this in my TpT store and TN after the hubs edits it! 
What do you think? Are you on board with this?
Stay safe. 








6 comments:

Chrissy said...

I completely agree with you. Common Core seems every bit as much HOW we teach as what we teach. And I agree that the change is proving very difficult for some people. It seems that some of the teachers I work with may have become so dependent on a manual to guide what is taught day 1, day 2, etc. that they've forgotten how creative they used to be. Change is hard, but I'm hoping they'll come around and find out that they can have fun again. Thanks for posting about this, Fran.
Chrissy
First Grade Found Me

Camille said...

Yep, I am on board! Are you coming to the Kindergarten conference in Santa Clara this year? I hope so, but realize with your new job you may not be. Our loss! (Though I am loving all the work you are sharing with us and all your wisdom!!!)
Camille
An Open Door

Kristin said...

I am ON BOARD! CHOO CHOO!!!!!
I miss you!

Fran Kramer said...

Oh my gosh I miss you too Kristin. I hope things are going well for you. I am heading over to one of my favorite blogs in the world. I hope there is some great drama...!!!

Giggles and Squeals said...

I agree as well. My principal is challenging us to think different. But I think we need to remember we must be teaching the WHOLE child as well. Although using scissors isn't in the common core we might still need to take the opportunity to still need to tech those things too.

I love your way of thinking. I think students who can explain their thinking really understand what they are doing.

I am awesome! said...

Hi! This looks awesome! Keep it up!