Image Map

Friday, November 11, 2011

Just Cooking Up One More Dish


Assessments are finally coming to a close and I am so happy to finish! When did we decide that kindergarten children should be assessed to death and be given formal benchmarks? Timing them makes me want to scream!
Who came up with that idea? Have they ever met a 5 year old  4 year old turning 5 in December? Seriously? So the race to nowhere continues. However, I can take a deep breath until the next time and celebrate this great American holiday known as Thanksgiving. My partner asked me to make a new emergent reader and I decided to add a few other ingredients to make it a delicious tidbit. I am just about finished but I have the TBA Expo tomorrow so I will be busy soaking in all the information. I will post this in my TpT store as soon as I can. I hope you like it.

3 comments:

All the places you love said...

I'm with you Fran! You can't fatten up a cow by weighing it every day. Timed test not only drive teachers crazy they can give a child test terrors. Either they know it or they don't.

Fran Kramer said...

I love your comment. You are so right about test anxiety. Some of our older children are really stressed by this and it concerns me so much.

Freckleteacher said...

Oh no! Timing kids has not made it's way to my District and I surely hope it doesn't! So sorry for you and your kiddos! I understand the value in fluency and automaticity, but timing kids is just not necessary and could be harmful UGH! I am sure you helped your students by making them comfortable and now you can get back to teaching...
I am looking forward to your new unit!!!