Image Map

Sunday, April 20, 2014

It was a crazy week of learning

It was a busy week in kindergarten and I had so much fun working with my teacher friends. We planted corn and lima beans with the kids in little greenhouses I created for them. Usually we put in damp paper towels and the lima bean behind the greenhouse and place it in a window. This year one of my teacher's decided to add soil and just spritz it lightly with water. She soaked the beans and popcorn ahead of time. The students were exploding with enthusiasm for this activity. The corn grew in just a few days and the kids were thrilled to see this. I was pretty over the top myself.
Once we saw that corn worked so easily the teachers decided to let their classes plant a few seeds in a clear cup so they could see the root system grow. I made the greenhouses much smaller this time, put their picture in the middle, and used a label with their name on top. I also laminated them in case they got wet .Colorful tongue depressors are just the right size to use as the stick. This made an adorable garden marker. I got this idea from a group of teachers I love at another school who did not have space for the big greenhouses and put these outside in the sun. I thought this was precious and so did my teacher friend. These went home with the kids after Open House. Parents were told to take pictures of their plant's progress. The kids were over the moon with excitement.
Students also worked on a cut and paste little book called My Bean Garden which I created to teach what is needed for a seed to grow. They could not wait to show me their beautiful work. I loved listening to them read the words. The teacher also wanted an emergent reader about spring which the students completed with ease and many could also read. Spring is blooming in this classroom for sure.

My teacher friend loves to grow butterflies in the room at this time of the year and students watch this process with amazement. Naturally, I made them a sight word game with butterflies and they are having so much fun with this. Watch out because I have a flower hiding behind a more challenging word!
This week I better work on an emergent reader about butterflies just to keep up with all the learning going on in this classroom. 
What are you doing to celebrate Earth Day and Spring? Any ideas for me to add into the mix? What are you growing?


10 comments:

Traci Clausen said...

I've done the bean seeds a zillion times, but NEVER corn! How awesome! Going to have to try this with my kiddos. :)

Mrs. Melisi said...

How did you make the greenhouses? They are adorable!
AMY

Jenny G. said...

Looks great Fran! Will your butterfly sight word game and emergent reader be available for purchase this week? Our caterpillars just arrived. Thanks for all the great products and ideas!

Fran Kramer said...

I made the greenhouse digitally and it is just simple shapes. I will see if I can post it later. I have to find the file! LOL

KFUNdamentals said...

Love the corn idea, Fran. We have done the beans in K, but I think the corn will be perfect for my TKs. Thanx for sharing! :)
Palma

Anonymous said...

We will be raising butterflies soon, then I put up a screen porch tent and the kids get to go inside and touch the butterflies. It is the most amazing experience. I have a few pictures on my blog.

Terri Izatt
KinderKapers

Unknown said...

Love your greenhouse! Will the emergent reader(s) be available in the near future by chance? Thanks!

Anonymous said...

My lima beans get moldy. What am I doing wrong?
olstads@fonddulac.k12.wi.us

Fran Kramer said...

I think you might be making them too wet. Put soil in the bag and just a slight spritz of water. Try it and good luck!

Katie Knight said...

Fran I love you and your ideas!!!!!