Image Map

Friday, March 25, 2011

My First Linky Party! Woohoo!



Jennifer is having a Linky Party and I wanted to join the fun!
Check out her great site and let me hear from you. I would love for you to leave a comment!




10 Things I've Learned About Teaching: and after so many years I have so much more to learn...

1. Kindergarten children are completely honest with you and just put their feelings right out there. This   requires a strong ego and a great sense of humor. Trust me I know!

2. Never stop hugging the kids! It makes a real difference and can be so effective when they can no longer hear your words.

3. Never power struggle with a 5 year old. I promise you- they will win. It is far more effective to allow them the opportunity to express their thinking and lead them to a reasonable solution. This takes time but is well worth the effort.

4. Children's books are amazing and I am addicted to them. I love the art and often the message touches me as much as the students I teach. I love presenting a new piece of literature and feel full of excitement. The best part is when they clap at the end and tell me how good it was.

5. I can justify spending endless amounts of money if it's  for my classroom. I have a serious addiction when it comes to markers, sharpies, tabs, post-it notes, and any container that might be useful. It pays to be organized and have enough of everything!

6. You need friends who are teachers, especially at your grade level. It helps you to grow as a professional and lends you support when you need it. Blogging has opened my world and made me a better teacher .So
many of you are so amazing and giving! 

7. Instead of complaining about what is wrong with the "system" work to change it and put yourself out there.
   
8. Read professionally. It makes you a better teacher and helps facilitate best teaching practices.

9. Know that you will have rough days when the kids are not tuned in and it's not always about you.
Nuture yourself and meet a friend for coffee. Don't work in your classroom endless hours. Find balance. My friends are laughing at this one!

10. Trust your own instincts and take the time to listen to your children. They need you on so many levels  and  are in your care for many hours. After all these years I still love when they hand me a beautiful picture or love note and I try to celebrate the moment...

If you are reading this I want to thank you for making a difference in the lives of our children.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

I love #2! At the end of each day my kids have to hug or high five me! They love it! You just never know if that might me the only hug they get all day!

Thanks for joining my linky party! I have loved reading everyone's top ten!
http://rowdyinfirstgrade.blogspot.com/

Chrissy said...

#4--YES! I consider myself to be a collector of children's literature. I knew I was meant to teach little ones when, in college, I found myself in the children's library more than in the research section. :-)

(I just wrote about report cards; must click your link!)

ReadWriteSing

Mrs. Inji's Class said...

fran,
thank you for your last inspiring words on no. 10!!! they really made me feel special.... it is so touching to know that you are appreciated for what you do!!! thank you:)))