Image Map

Sunday, April 21, 2013

Are You Full of Beans In Kindergarten? Grab this freebie!



Now that California teachers are implementing the Common Core our perspective has shifted and we are making certain strategies a part of our daily teaching. Many kindergarten teachers love to grow lima beans in baggies or in soil but now we want our students to record their observations (through drawings, labels, and writing) and to document this on a daily basis. This is a flip book that is generic since the students write in the day on the front. In my classroom I might start them off with guided drawing and label the parts as a group but this would be easy to differentiate depending on the skills of your children. Some teachers choose to plant their bean in soil (just one) and the entire class observes the same plant. You have lots of choices with this but I thought this little log would be useful for you. It is 2 pages and you run it back to back so students know where to put their drawing each day.
I worked with a team of wonderful,primary teachers on a unit of study for our district that reflects the CCSS and created this log for our district teachers to use. I hope they find it useful. Click on the picture to grab this item for your classroom. Be sure to check out the Greenhouse freebie posted too! I love comments if you can spare the time. Have a great Sunday friends.
Fran








11 comments:

Unknown said...

I love this idea and can't wait to try it out with my class. Thanks so much. Aideen (in Ireland)

KinderWurm said...

Thanks for sharing! You always know what I need. Can't wait to give it to the children tomorrow.

KinderWurm said...

You are always making just what I need. Thanks for all you do.

Valeria said...

I love this easy yet meaningful way to record their observations! And I love the greenhouse activity as well! Thanks for making my crazy workload this week a little lighter! I appreciate you sharing this and all you do!
Valerie Demorest
valdemorest@gmail.com

Kinderaffe said...

Love this freebie. Put the beans on my desk on Thursday. Had the plans to do it today. Your little house is perfect! I am a faithful follower. Have a great week!

Sara

Traci Clausen said...

Simply perfect! Thanks Fran!

Unknown said...

Love you link of science to the CCSS!

Kirstin
Bright Bulldogs

Rachelle said...

I love me some flap books!!! Thank you, Fran!

Kelley Dolling said...

Fran . . . LOVE these flappy books. So kid friendly, practical, and directly aligned to those CCSS. You're one amazing lady! Miss you :)

Factivation said...

Thanks for such an interesting article here. I was searching for something like that for quite a long time and at last I have found it here.

How to teach multiplication facts

kkaberle said...

So cute! My greenhouses are up and several teachers commented on them...of course I said "They are from Fran!" Everyone on the K team knows and loves you!! Thanks for making things easier for us!