Image Map

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

OMG I "Flipped" Over This!







Are you familiar with Teaching Channel? This is a fantastic site that you can subscribe to free of charge. Why? It is filled with high quality videos that show you best teaching practices and strategies for student engagement in our schools. I cannot recommend this enough if you are working towards understanding the CCSS. I really find these videos interesting and helpful. Check this one out and see if you agree with me.
Anyhow, they ran a contest for a free flip video camera and I entered and won. Me! I never win anything and I was so shocked and excited. I love taking video of kids and using them in my presentations for teachers. You can talk the talk but watching a lesson take place is so much more powerful. Right? I cannot wait to go back to school and take advantage of my new tech "toy." Do you use video in your classroom? How?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

You will absolutely love this camera! I have one and use it all the time in my first grade classroom. My favorite is to make a movie the first week of school. I have my students come up with their first grade wish. A lot of them say they wish to learn to read. I have them write their wish down (which is also a great way for me to get a quick assessment on their writing skills!). Then I video the entire class, one student at a time. First they say their name, and then they say their wish. I show this video at the very end of my parent open house in September. The parents love seeing the use of technology so early in the year, and it gives them an opportunity to get to know the other students in their child's class. Then, we watch it one more time at the very end of the school year to see if their wish came true. They giggle! I've also used it for poetry reading, reader's theater, class commercials and to tape a student teacher teaching a lesson. Hope these ideas help!

Angela said...

Congrats! That's awesome! Thanks for the tip on the site..hadn't heard of it before. We have a teacher at our school that has recorded her class on the iPad doing a song or two for our school website. It would also be neat to record the kids re-telling a familiar story with puppets or character headbands and link it to your website for parents to enjoy. Have fun with the new toy!

cindy said...

I love the teaching channel and have used many of their ideas.

Fran Kramer said...

I am almost crying over your post. What a meaningful, spectacular memory to have. I love your idea and I can only imagine what an incredible teacher you must be. Thank you for sharing this with me and my readers!
Fran

youngprekteacher said...

This is a wonderful video camera, and one that I thought was no longer available. It's very easy to use. I was given one in a grant that I was in to be used to record our research projects. I recently used it to video tape the hatching of a chick in our classroom.

The Kinder Garden said...

I was lucky enough to win one of these flip cameras from Coca-Cola... I love it! We used it last year during our weather unit to record the students broadcasting the weather report outside each day. They loved "being on tv"... haha!

--Caitlin
thekindergarden.blogspot.com