Image Map

Sunday, March 24, 2013

Blow-Out Blog Brouhaha... Never Miss This Event






How do I talk about this event without gushing? If you live anywhere within 100 miles of these meet-ups, it is well worth the effort to attend. I am not even kidding. First of all, you get to meet me. Why is that such a big thrill? I am the oldest of all of you and started teaching before many of you were born. Don't even think about arguing with me about that.  Remember that I am super bossy! 
The event was held at Red Robin ( okay Fran might have taken that up a notch but you know how old people like to complain) by two of the cutest women I have ever met. Kate from Second Grade Sparkle and Katie from Teacher to the Core. I loved both of them within seconds of meeting them. They did an amazing job of organizing this blow out party and a ton of bloggers came. There were no random, creepy people that showed up which was a real relief! Stop laughing. They have been known to just join the group. Okay I digress. The party planners, who clearly understand that we are all like first graders, had precious name tags for us and goodie bags (big shout out to Wendy for all the books). Christy and Tammy from Fluttering Through First Grade brought the cutest pads in the world and we loved them so much. Heidi, yes our Heidi is from Southern Cal. dropped a billion of our DVD's on the table for teachers to have. I knew that would make you jealous. Anyway, we talked and talked and resented when the waitress interrupted  us to take our order. The nerve of her! What did we talk about... everything you can imagine! Traci from Dragonflies in First sat next to me and needs to be my friend forever. She is so talented and smart  and I just love her personality. We chatted like old friends. She has created an amazing planner that you need to purchase if you haven't done so already. You have one? Check hers out cause it is brilliantly designed. Yours can't be as good... just sayin'  Do you know Christy and Tammy? Christy sat next to me and she is hilarious and I got to hear all about her partnership with Tammy. These two ladies are just the smartest and best out there. They have the best of both worlds as part time teachers, bloggers, and moms. Check out their packets because you will be so impressed. My Annie ( I love her so much) was across from me (Annie Moffatt) and it is always so much fun to be with her. Annie is a mom who is home schooling her children and is always working to stay ahead of the curve in education. She has new ice cream scoop packets that are adorable so you need to look at these. Your students will find them a real treat! She is truly talented. Hadar (Miss Kindergarten)  was at the other end of the table but we finally got to chat for a bit and I also spent a little time with Michelle from Apples and ABC's. It was so much fun to catch up with these gorgeous ladies and Layla, from Fancy Free in Fourth is expecting her second child. We took the cutest picture together with her "bump". Layla was the only upper grade teacher in the bunch but if you know teachers who need Common Core packets that are well designed, she is your person. 
Heidi (our celebrity) also came to this gala event and generously brought a ton of her stuff for teachers to have. We loved her for doing this. Okay I hear you yawning so I will bring this to a close. It was one of the best days ever! 
These events are so important to me. Why? They make me realize the power of the internet and how blogging has changed my life. I have met warm, wonderful teachers who have changed my world, one kid at a time. I love you guys and I am counting the days until we meet again. 
I know I left out a ton of people but others will have done a better job. Back to my Common Core assignment... I swear I need to stop jabbering about this day!
Fran



18 comments:

Rachelle said...

I'm SOOOOOOOOO jealous!!!!!!!!! I'm seriously sitting here and pouting. Wish I could have been in So. Cal on vacation like I was last year at this time!!!! Love you, friend!!! When do we get to see each other again? I Teach K?

Christy {Crayons and Whimsy} said...

You are so funny!! It was great to meet you, I just wish I got to talk to you more than at the very end... because you really make me laugh! Can't wait for another meet up!

Christy
Crayons and Whimsy

Annie Moffatt said...

Oh Fran...I just love you to pieces!! I can't wait until the next meet-up!
The Moffatt Girls

Traci Clausen said...

Ha... I ALSO love you to pieces! Who doesn't?!

You are amazing, inspiring and SO MUCH FUN. I could spend DAYS chatting and laughing with you! :D We should plan that! ;-P

Thanks for helping me snag some fabulous Heidi Songs DVD's!

Shawna said...

It was great meeting you Fran. I hope to get to know you a bit more at the next meet up!
Shawna
The Picture Book Teacher's Edition

Growing Firsties said...

FRAN!!!! I soooo loved this post!!! I wanted to fly out SO badly for this!!! Katie's my bud and I heard such wonderful things about the meet up! You are DA BOMB!!!
Smiles - Lisa
Growing Firsties

The Polished Teacher said...

Bloggy meetup and Red Robin? You gals had it made! Looks like you had the most fantastic time!

ThePolishedTeacher

Fran Kramer said...

Lisa,
You better be there next time sitting with me and listening to all my nonsense. It really was so much fun to hand out with all our blogging buddies. Seriously, it was like we all knew each other for years and laughed ourselves sick.

mskarenkory said...

You're get togethers look like such fun!

I have a question for you Fran. Are you planning on writing any more Sparkle Readers? We were awarded a grant this year to purchase books. There are three of us at our grade level and we purchased 3 licenses for the books you've written that we hadn't already purchased. The reason I'm wondering if you're planning any more is that we must finish spending the money soon. If you've got something in the works, I want to be sure to save some money to cover it.

Thanks!

Karen

Kate Daniel said...

Such a fun day!! I completely agree!! And this time you didn't almost get run over. That's progress, don't you think?? I'd like to have a meet up just with you so I can pick your Common Core brain and have you all to myself! :) But I guess I have to share...

So glad you came, Fran!


Kate
Second Grade Sparkle

HeidiSongs said...

Thanks so much for the wonderful shout outs, Fran!!! It was great to see you again! I am really starting to feel like I'm part of the gang, now! I actually recognized a bunch of the gals, and I wasn't nervous this time! It was fun, and I'm so glad I went! But I wish that we had had a chance to chat some more! Oh well, next time!
See you soon, Fran! I hope you will consider presenting at SCKC next year! You would be awesome, I know!
Heidi

Fran Kramer said...

Kate,
Thank you for not running over me! I am totally kidding you. I loved reading your post on CCSS and honestly you really understand the big picture better than most! Can I drag you to my next training as my friend who understands this and realizes it is not just about slamming the standards out? This is is about having a new perspective and requires using different strategies and approaches. You're a great teacher (hush now and remember that I know these things) and I am eager to see what you create based on your new understandings. We can always spend time together. We can have lunch over spring break. Thanks again for making this event perfect!
Love you,
Fran

Unknown said...

Oh! I'm so jealous! I'm still new to the blogging world and would love to meet up with some fellow bloggers.

Fran Kramer said...

Karen,
I am definately making many more sets of Sparkle Readers to finish out the year. People request them all the time. Spring break is coming up and I will make them ASAP. Thanks for asking.
I am also making a Part 2 of my cvc packet and I love the activities in this. I think the first one is really systematic which is what our kids need.

Katie Knight said...

Oh Fran we just love you!!!!!! Our waitress was so cute. You could tell she sis not want to interrupt. Can you imagine the surprise of the manager when he came out at 7 and we were still there! He about fell over!

Sandra said...

Sounds like such fun. Wish I lived in California.

Classroom Companion

Cindy said...

OOh Fran....this sounds like a HUGE blast! And yes....I am joining the list of TOTALLY JEALOUS bloggers that missed out! Not only do you guys get nice weather out there...but you get great meet ups too! ;-) Sounds like soooo much fun!!

Anonymous said...

I so wish I lived closer...I would have been there!

Terri Izatt
KinderKapers