Image Map

Sunday, September 7, 2014

I Need to Come Up for Air

Those first few weeks of school can kill those who lack stamina and enthusiasm. As I look around the room I am just beginning to appreciate all the hard work my partner and I have put into our "Pete" environment. The entire room has been done in blue, red, yellow and a hit of green. It is starting to shape up. Let me know what you think...
Here are the cards for my October calendar because I am trying to stay ahead of the curve. I love how they turned out. Each month I will make the cards and add more components to this as I get a chance.
It is definitely improving and I will have more pictures as I get a chance to take some.
Our students are learning about colors and we had so much fun coloring in our teacher avatars so parents could remember our names. This was a big hit with our students! 

I created retelling cards that went with the first Pete the Cat story and the children did well with this activity. The next day we worked on prediction and talked about Pete walking through a big pile of grapes, peas, oranges, and even pudding. I asked them to "predict" what color his shoes would turn. 
This was fun and challenged our English language learners. Then during small group instruction the children had to color in Pete's shoes, reading the color words. They are really not ready for this so I put a tiny clue next to each color word. It was a win-win situation and helped to build their confidence. They must believe in themselves!
I finally finished my sight word circles and they are all hanging in my Reading Corner within the reach of the children. It will encourage them to practice these with a partner. I also added the color words. I can move these around the room easily when I need to refer to them.
Right now I am building my PowerPoint for Back to School and working on the design for my homework folder... no relaxing for me! What touches are you adding to your room to make it special? Please share.


13 comments:

kinder-gardening said...

Fran, your room is adorable. I love the bright colors and all the Pete touches. Your kids are so lucky! That sight word circle idea has caught my eye. Really great ideas everywhere!

msdora162 said...

After so many years, you would think I would be used to the sheer exhaustion I feel at the beginning of the year. Let's not even talk about the sense of not having everything the way I want it just yet. I moved to another school this year and I am still trying to find where i put my books, cds, etc. I love the efficiency of your room. It is bright, fun, and created to help nurture learning. Great job. I can't wait to purchase your rules book etc.

Unknown said...

Do you have your color coded sight word circles on TPT?

Anonymous said...

I love your room! Can I come be in your class?? I especially love the skinny wall with chevron and your round sight words. Great use of every inch! You are brilliant!

Terri Izatt
KinderKapers

Anonymous said...

Hello,
DO you have the color coded sight words on TPT?

Anonymous said...

Hello,
are the color coded signt words on TPT?
Love them!!!

Katie Knight said...

OH MY WORD! YOUR ROOM IS AMAZING! WHY AM I SHOUTING!?! Because your room really is amazing!

Unknown said...

I love your reading corner! It's perfect!!! I wouldn't mind spending some time to get a book and read on that spot...even with that cute cat! :)

Unknown said...

You made your own teacher Avatar? I would love to learn how to make one of me. Can you give instructions and site that I can go to? Thanks for such wonderful ideas for helping learning to be fun for the students!
Jennifer Saldana

Fran Kramer said...

I will put the sight word circles on
tpt soon!
Fran

Meredith said...

Love your room, Pete's new home! You have the cutest table and chairs for the kiddos. It's all so inviting.

Unknown said...

Hello Fran,
Your Pete the Cat calendar pieces for October are SUPER cute!!! Are they for sale???

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.